Monday, April 23, 2012

67 - I'm Moving On


“So you’re telling us that Mom and Uncle Tony are dating?” Stephanie asked, her eyes darting around the table to each of her parents and her uncle.  Dinner was over and Jon had just broken the news, as the adults had previously agreed.

“Yes,” Jon told his daughter firmly, with no sign of indecision. 

“And you’re okay with this?”  That was clearly unfathomable to Jon’s teenage son.  “You’re really okay with this?”

“Yes.”  Again, no indecision or uncertainty.  “Kids, just because your mom and I got a divorce doesn’t mean we don’t care about one another.”  His eyes slid to Dorothea with a small smile.  “How can I not care about her?  She gave me the four most important things in my life.”

“That’s us!” Romeo declared proudly. 

“That’s you,” Jon confirmed with a grin.  “Mom deserves another chance at happiness, and your Uncle Tony makes her happy.  If your mom’s happy, then I’m happy for her.”  He could still see that the teenagers weren’t quite sold on the idea.  “Guys, you don’t have to be ecstatic about it right this minute.  I know it’s a little unusual, and you can take all the time you need to get used to it.  Just think of it this way, though.  At least you don’t have to get to know some stranger and worry whether you’ll hate him or not.”  He grinned unashamedly at his brother.  “You already know you hate Uncle Tony.”

“I thought you were supposed to be helping,” Tony said sarcastically to Jon over the younger boys’ laughter, but he was smiling.  He still couldn’t believe how well Jon had accepted the whole thing.  At the very least, he’d expected to get the stink-eye, but it hadn’t happened.  Jon greeted him this evening with a handshake, a smile and one more not-so-subtle threat to be good to Dorothea.  That had been it.

“What about you, Daddy?”  His head swung around to find Stephanie’s blue eyes troubled.

“What about me?  I told you this is all cool with me.”

“That’s not what I mean,” she said, hair swinging as she shook her head.  “When are you ever going to start dating?  Are you already dating and we just don’t know about it?”

His grin was easy and unaffected, despite the racing of his heart, and the images of Petey flashing across his mind’s eye.   Jon wouldn’t exactly call what he’d been doing dating, but he was definitely involved.  “You know me, baby.  Work is my girlfriend.  Your mother is very nearly a saint.”  He winked at Dorothea flirtatiously, even as she gave him that goddamn look of hers.  Bullshit rating:  eight out of ten.  “If she wasn’t willing to put up with it, I doubt any woman would.”

“But Daddy, I don’t want you to be alone.” 

“Now why would I be alone?  I’ve got four amazing kids who keep me busy when I’m not working.  You guys are plenty for me.  I don’t need a woman.”

Jesse snorted quietly, and both parents shot him a look that said to keep his horny teenage hormones quiet, if not out of the gutter.

So, in the end, the younger boys blew it off without a second thought and the older kids accepted the idea.  If they didn’t accept it whole-heartedly, they at least accepted it with the agreement to try before condemning the whole thing.

“Jon, thank you.  You were great,” Dorothea remarked after the kids had gone to their rooms and the adults were sitting in the kitchen having a cup of coffee.  He would really prefer wine, but he was pretending to stay away from the alcohol for a while.

“Yeah, man,” Tony agreed, his hand slipping around to rest in the small of Dorothea’s back. That would take some getting used to, Jon thought, looking away.  “You being on board with this helped it go down a lot more smoothly.”

“Don’t thank me for doing what was right.”

“Uncle Tony,” a child’s voice whined plaintively.  “Romeo messed up the Wii.  Again.”  Jake’s disgust with his younger brother was written clearly across his face.  “Can you come fix it?  I did what you told me last time, but it didn’t work.”

“Sure, buddy.”  Tony rose and put his hand on the boy’s shoulder, guiding him out of the room.  “I’ll show you another trick that might work.”

Jon watched them go, man and boy, side by side, and a pang of jealousy struck him.  “Dottie,” he implored quietly.  “They’re still my kids.  I’m not going to be replaced in their lives.”

She leaned forward and laid her hand gently over his on the countertop.  “No.  You’re not.  I have always made sure you were part of their everyday lives, even when you were thousands of miles away.  That’s not going to change.”

He nodded once and stood to get more coffee, more for a distraction than anything else.  “You remember when you said I could talk to you anytime with no judgment?”  He asked, putting the pot back and absently blowing across his steaming cup in an effort to cool the dark brew enough to drink.   His head had been screwed up all over again today. 

When Petey wouldn’t agree to come over tonight, her refusal hit Jon harder than it should have.  Surprising himself, he hadn’t responded to the short text message of rejection.  He’d had the word ‘please’ tapped out on his screen, but never hit the send button. 

Jon realized that he’d been on the verge of begging, wheedling and cajoling to have her smart mouth show up at his front door.  To have her in his arms.  Hell, just to hug her.  That scared the shit out of him.

“Who is she Jon?” Dorothea asked with a kind smile.

He’d thought many times during their marriage that Dottie was a gypsy.  At the very least a psychic.  She knew shit that there was absolutely no reason for her to know. 

“It doesn’t matter who she is, other than she’s somebody that won’t fit neatly into my world.” He slid back into his seat and watched the black liquid swirling in his coffee cup.  The darkness reminded him of Petey.  “But I can’t stop thinking about her.”

“So she’s not a Senator’s daughter or a captain of industry?  She’s just an average girl.”

A rueful smirk curled up one corner of his mouth.  “She’s anything but average.”

“Oh, really?”  Dorothea was leaning forward with interest.  “What makes her not average?”

“Everything,” he chuckled.  “She fights with me at the drop of a hat, but at the same time she calms me down.  She has these quirks that are…  beyond unusual, but they’re endearing, too.  She’s incredibly smart, yet unknowing about things.  She’s unique like nobody else I’ve ever known.”

“And?  Why are you telling me this, Jon?”  Dottie was watching him with the soft brown eyes that had ferreted out hundreds of secrets and half-truths throughout the years, trying to pull his thoughts from him.

“Because I’m hoping you can tell me when my image became more important than what I believe in?” 

That was what it all boiled down to.  He knew Petey was, without a doubt, a good person.  She had held his hand when she didn’t have to, she’d called his bullshit, she’d pushed him when he needed pushed.  He’d be surprised if she didn’t care about him at least a little bit.  If she didn’t, she would’ve turned around and left him and his liver to pickle the other day.

“The day some reporter made you the poster boy for rock and roll marriage,” she told him without hesitation.  “For whatever reason, that made you a valued member of society.  They suddenly stopped talking about your hair and listened to what you had to say.  It was all you ever wanted, because you had – have – so many ideas to share with the world.”  She sipped her coffee and shrugged.  “I’d say you’re afraid if your image fades, so will your voice.”

He hated Dorothea sometimes.  Why could she see things like this so clearly and concisely when all he saw was a clusterfuck?

“Are you telling me this woman will screw up your ‘image’?”  Dorothea’s brow was creased with disbelief.  “Is she a hooker?”

“Jesus!  No, she’s not a hooker,” he laughed.  “She’s just not you.”

“You don’t need me, Jon,” she informed him in no uncertain terms.  “You need somebody who makes you a better you.”

He set the coffee cup down and looked at her with complete seriousness.  “Does Tony do that for you?”

“He does.”  No hesitation. That hurt a little.

“You know he’s going to be on my schedule.  He won’t be here all the time once the tour starts.”

“I’m very much aware, but that’s never been an issue.  I’m fine on my own.  The difference is that when he’s with me, he’s with me.  That was something you never quite mastered,” she remarked a bit sadly.  “Your head was always on the next album, the next tour, the next big deal.  I deserved to have that attention.”

He dipped his head in shame.  He was an emotionally stunted fuck.  “You’re right.  You did.”

Dorothea reached across the table and curled her fingers around his hand.  “There’s no blame anymore, Jonny.  It is what it is and we’ve moved on.”  Amusement lit her eyes.  “Both of us have moved on, apparently.  I’d like to meet your anything-but-average woman sometime.”

You already have.

“Let’s wait and see if I can get past my own ego.”

She nodded, eyes still thoughtful.  “You know that a part of me will always love you, Jon.”

He squeezed her hand.  “Same goes,” he gruffly assured her before changing the subject.  “I’m having a little New Year’s thing at Matt’s club tomorrow night.  Why don’t you and Tony come?”

She nodded, and he knew that she knew what he was doing.  “I’ll talk to him, and we’ll see.  Thanks for asking.”

“Oh.  I just remembered.”  He released her hand and scooted his chair across the tile so that he could stand.  “I brought something for Steph.”  A quick trip to the foyer and he was back, handing the festively wrapped package to Dorothea.  “When Petey was at my place on Wednesday, she asked me to pass this along.”

Dorothea accepted it, placing it on the table with a little smile.  “It’s a scarf.  Petey said it made her think of Steph when she saw it, and she wanted her to have it.  She looks like an odd duck, but she’s really a very nice woman.”

Truer words were never spoken.

“Yeah.  She is.”

“That reminds me,” Dorothea said lifting her eyes to meet his.  “How did your lessons go?”

"Good.  They went good."





19 comments:

  1. Oh Blush, what a sweet chapter. Every once and a while we need a heart warmer and this was it! I love a man who can admit his faults - I'm officially back in love with Jon. :) Thanks for the bonus, it was lovely.
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, come on, Dorothea, put two & two together...quirks that are beyond unsual, anything-but-average, may-harm-Jon's-image but not a hooker or anything like that...

    Ok, so she & Tony are invited to the NYE bash now...and knowing what she now knows, I once again have no doubt she'll figure it out as soon as Jon sees Petey with Richie. Hopefully *before* the proverbial crap hits the fan, so she can knock some sense into him AND keep him from hitting Richie for getting to kiss Petey first.

    And Blush, thanks for the bonus chapter, even if my begging wasn't posted until after you'd posted it. I'd started typing it up before you had, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect chapter! I'm happy that the kids know and that it's out in the open. Jon really stepped up and is behaving. Felt a pang in my heart when he had to turn his head when Tony put his hand on Dorothea's back.

    It will be Dorothea who works it out and kicks Jon butt, I think she will be the one who makes him see reason. Dorothea or even Richie! Lets see how Jon reacts when he sees Petey with Richie and if Richie sees any odd behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting more and more excited for NYE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story. Any chance for more today? Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to know what will be Jon's reaction when he sees Richie and Petey On a DATE!!! He will be greener than green of envy, but he really deserves it. He have had two opportunities (Petey has given two opportunities) and he has wasted both.

    Congratulations you are an excellent writer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blush, you're spoiling me!
    I have a rotten day at work, get home and get bonus chapter!!!! I LIKE it!

    I hope Jon doesn't have the aneurism when Richie walks in with Petey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splended chapters as per always Blushnscarlet. How you come up with these superb chapters over and over. So glad that the kids now know about their Mom with Uncle Tony. Even though it would have been nice for Petey to have been there, so Dorothea could have worked it out and had a talk with Jon. This is the time for the kids to know about their Mom's new relationship. It was time to bring it out in the open.

    Jon, you have matured so much since that talk with Petey and it's a pity that you have spoiled it with your attitude. She was the one who made you see reason and without Petey, who knows when that talk would have taken place. You owe her so much.

    Petey, please give Richie a chance, you just never know, this could be what Jon needs. His ex-wife is now with his brother and have the woman that he is deeveloping feelings for with Richie. So where will that leave Jon? Better not let that happen. JOn, think next time - BELINDA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. “You need somebody who makes you a better you.” - best quote of the chapter. It's so good to see that Dorothea has someone who makes her a better person. Jon has too. He just doesn't know it yet. No one else could have helped him as Petey has.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new here, my name is Maria and I am sure that I speak on behalf of a lot of people when I say; thank you for your daily updates. To come on here and get a story everyday and sometimes two stories per day? it is more than we can be thankful for.

    Thank you for bringing this story into my life! my friend told me about this story a few weeks back and said Maria; you have to read this story. She knows that I am a huge Tony Bongiovi fan and she said, go and read it and you will not be disappointed. Man, was she ever correct. All I can say is Thank You. Pairing him up with Dorothea is something I would never have imagined but now that you have done it, I can't imagine them apart! THANK YOU!! In among this great story of Jon and Petey, you have thrown together a beautiful, wonderful couple T and D. Every night before I go to sleep, I read the update and every chapter just gets better and better. Keep up the good work. Regards Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard Maria! :o) I thank you for the kind comments, and I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far. Hopefully you'll find it interesting enough to continue on with. (oh, and thanks to the friend who pointed you this way!)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your welcome! I'm positive that I will continue to enjoy this story. I am interested in finding out what will happen between Petey and Jon and when they go on tour. What's Richie involvement will be. Tony and Dorothea are icing on the cake of a very entertaining story! I am more than happy to come along for the ride. Regards Maria

      Delete
  11. I absolutely LOVE the friendly relationship Jon and dot have :) so sweet!

    Incase I haven't said it before... THANK YOU CAROL FOR ALL THE MANY UPDATES YOU HAVE BEEN DOING!! YOU DEFF HAVE SPOILED ME! AND NOW I EXPECT 2-3 UPDATES A DAY LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their relationship too. I think Petey and Tony will have to know that these two will always love each other, even through they are divorced.

      Delete
    2. Kelli? :P *blows big raspberry*

      Delete
  12. Great chapter! But I'm still stuck in the word "clusterfuck"!!! LMAO!

    Seriously, I love the soft/weak side of Jon! I bet that on NYE, David will be the one to kiss Petey first!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better becareful Jon Dorothea's radar is on and it's directed towards you. Love how the kids took the news especially Stephanie. All Stephanie wants is for her daddy to be happy. Wonder how she will feel when or should I say if Jon and Petey confess their feelings to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bongiovi children are so mature. They took the news of their Uncle being with their Mom in their stride. Good works kids. Have to say, Dad had a good hand in that too, good work Dad on being mature and showing your kids that you are happy for Dorothea and Tony.

    I still say that it will be Dorothea who puts Jon in line and kicks his butt. When she works out that it's Petey that's mystery woman and we already know that she likes Petey, Dorothea will be the one who smartens him up.

    Can't wait for this NYE's party. It will be a night to remember for many reasons. Could be the night where Jon truly faces up to his feelings. I wonder if Tony and Dorothea will go or will they have their own NYE?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the roller coaster ride of hating, then loving Jon. Hold on tight! ;)

    ReplyDelete