Tuesday, June 12, 2012

115 - Lay It on the Line


“So that’s it,” Richie concluded, huddled over the table, elbows resting on the edges.  The half-empty glass of Diet Coke dangled from his fingertips and the shards of ice that were still intact tinkled delicately against the sides.   “Desperation had me soliciting a visitor last night – huge mistake, just like it always is – and here I am.   Depressed and slightly screwed up.  Got any words of wisdom for me, Denny?”

Denise Salazar’s usually smiling face wasn’t smiling, and the open brown eyes that usually sparked with fire when he’d done something stupid wouldn’t meet his.  She was engrossed with her iPhone and Filofax.

“Get a good night’s sleep so you don’t look haggard for the guest appearance tomorrow.”  She signaled the waitress for their check and tapped impatiently on her watch, indicating that they were in a hurry.

“That’s it?”  He was unaccountably disappointed. 

She’d been his friend for more than seventeen years, his personal assistant for six, and his Yoda for the last two.  Richie couldn’t function without her – literally.  If it weren’t for Denny, he would never make it to his appointments and meetings.  Hell, some days he wouldn’t get out of bed without her wake-up call.  She was privy to more of his personal life than anyone since the divorce, being one of the few people he felt comfortable talking openly with.  If she ever decided to write a tell-all book, he’d be screwed.

“No.”  Now she looked at him, her mouth in a disapproving line.  “You’re going to Jersey.  I’ll text you the flight details, but plan to leave on Thursday.  Call Tony, apologize, tell him you’re going to the wedding and that you’ll help him pick out Dorothea’s ring.  If you don’t want to stay after the ceremony, I’ll make sure you have an evening flight back.  Otherwise, I’ll arrange for you to fly out on Sunday so you can be home in time to drop Ava at school on Monday.”

Damn.

That’s what he got for asking.

“Why are you acting like I’m being an idiot?”

“Because you are.”  She snatched the black leather folder that the server had automatically placed at Richie’s elbow and verified that the total was correct before opening her wallet.  With an efficiency borne of experience, she extracted the American Express card reserved for his business expenses, tucked it into the folder and waved it at the young brunette.

“O-kayyy.  But you’re usually much nicer about it than this.”

“That’s because you’re not usually this much of an idiot,” she noted off-handedly.  “Don’t forget to take your Martin.  You like its versatility when you’re playing off the cuff, and I assume you haven’t yet chosen a song to honor the couple.  I’ll remind you again just before you leave.”

“Denny.  Slow the fuck down, babe,” he laughingly ordered her.  Yes, she organized his life to the teeth, but this was extreme even for her.  “Why are you so wound up?  And why are you in such a hellfire hurry?”

She had just scratched her signature hurriedly across the bottom of the credit card slip and tossed it back in the folder, allowing the black leather to drop unceremoniously to the table.  The customer copy found its way into the designated Filofax slot.  It would later make its way into the proper folder in his office and then to the accountant.  Denny had a system.

“We had business to discuss, we discussed and I’m going.  I have other things to do besides hold your hand.”

Now that was completely out of character for Denny.  Yes, she stayed busy.  She was somewhere in her mid-forties and a divorced mom of three active kids.  They kept her super-busy when Richie didn’t,  but she handled it all effortlessly – without making him feel like an imposition.

Until today, anyway.

When she started to rise, he leaned across the table to prevent her departure.  Long, callused guitarists’ fingers circled firmly around the fine bones of her wrist, pinning it to the table and refusing to let go.

“Sit right there.”  He didn’t threaten, he didn’t yell, he didn’t get angry – none of those things.  But he expected her complete cooperation.  “I want to know what happened in the last ten minutes to turn you into…  somebody that’s not you.  Talk to me, Den.”

“This is me,” she huffed, but remained seated.  The only change in position she made was to lean forward before she peered earnestly into his eyes. “This is the me who is very, very weary of watching you beat your head against the same brick wall time after time.  You’ve known this Petey woman – what?  - a hot second and you’re jealous that she’s not hooking up with you?  She’s right.  You don’t even know her!  And for that jealousy, you’re punishing the man who has been by your side since the beginning?  Who has pulled your fat out of the fire and covered your backside without question countless times?  Who loves you more than he loves his own brothers?  And for that jealousy, you’re soliciting and encouraging the woman who has nothing to offer you but an empty orifice to pour your frustration into?”

Richie’s fingers went lax, and he withdrew his hand.  It felt as though he’d been mauled by his pet kitten.  The Denise Salazar he knew was sweet and caring, not the incensed lunch companion who was ready to launch herself across the table.

She dropped her newly freed hand into her lap with a defeated sigh, the starch seeping out of her sails.  “Stop looking for something that’s right in front of your face, Richie.  Stop looking for something that’s already yours if you’d only reach out and take it.”

What was she talking about?  What did she think he was looking for?  Better yet, what was he looking for?

“Denny, babe, I don’t know what you mean.”

With a sad shake of her head, she gracefully glided out of her chair, tucking the Filofax under her arm and hoisting the oversized black bag onto her shoulder.  “I’m painfully aware of that.”  She bent to brush her lips across his cheek and drew a deliberate breath.  He thought she was going to say something more, but she didn’t.  She merely straightened, gave a friendly pat to his shoulder and departed with a quiet, “I’ll text you later.  Call if you need something.”

It was the only time he could recall saying goodbye to Denny and feeling worse than when they’d said hello.

☠ ☢

Tony turned up the radio and tapped his thumb against the steering wheel, keeping time with the Black Sabbath classic.  He was pleased with what had been accomplished at the studio today.  FedEx had delivered as promised, and kept him moving in the right direction.  Now he just had to track down that one box in his mom’s attic.  If he could find it, he might get this all tied up tomorrow. 

That’s what he chose to dwell on – where that box might be tucked away.  It was better than worrying about whether or not things were going to be weird with his parents. Yes, his mother had apologized, but he had yet to see the proof of her sincerity.  He hadn't talked to Pop.  Did he even realize he'd let Tony down by not saying something to his wife?

His worry was, thankfully, shoved to the back burner when his phone rang.  Tony bumped the stereo’s volume down a couple of notches and hit the button to answer it while taking the correct exit off the Jersey Turnpike.

“Yo.”

“Hey, man.”

Richie’s voice wasn’t one he expected to hear for quite a while yet.  He’d thought Richie would be scarce until after the wedding, since his brother’s best friend was ditching it and all.

“Rich.  What’s up?”  He was still kinda pissed, and didn’t feel like making polite conversation.

“I called to apologize.”

Interesting turn of events.  “Yeah?  How come?”

“Well…  I was talking to Denny and she may have suggested that I was being an idiot.”

“She’s only like the tenth person to tell you that, jackass.  It finally sink in this time?  Or was the difference in who was tellin’ ya?”

From Tony’s personal observations, Richie leaned on his assistant a lot more than he realized.  While they were on the road, he talked to her several times a day, even asking her to join them at various stops for one reason or another.  She’d even brought her kids along a couple of times, if he remembered right, which was cool since Rich had a soft spot for kids.

Tony wouldn’t be surprised if they were to hook up at some point.  Denise was a very together lady who liked to keep an air of detachment, but he’d caught her looking at Richie a couple of different times – and she was anything but detached.

“I’m coming for the wedding, and Denny has me scheduled to fly in Thursday.  Still want another set of eyes to check out rings?”

It was common knowledge that he wasn’t always on the best terms with his older brother, but right now they were in a good place and having his back took priority over Tony worrying about his own shit.  “Does Jon know you’re coming?  You’re not gonna do some stupid shit and surprise him, are you?  Because if you pull that, I wouldn’t blame him if he punched you in the face.”

The laughter ringing in his ears was familiar, easy and completely unoffended.  Richie was back.  Tony had no idea where he’d been, but he was back now.

“I haven’t called him yet, but I will here in a minute,” Richie promised.  “So we on for Thursday?”

Pulling into the driveway at his parents’ house, he considered the offer.  He’d just about decided what he wanted to get for Dorothea, but a second opinion couldn’t hurt.  “Yeah.  Swing by the studio and pick me up.  You’ll have a driver right?”  If the big goon was gonna come, Tony may as well make the most of it.  It was a whole lot easier than driving into the city and finding a parking space anywhere near Tiffany’s.

“Yeah.  I’ll send you my flight time so you know when to expect me.”

“Cool.  Talk to you in a coupla days then.”

The phone was coming away from his ear, when Richie spoke again.  “Hey Tone?  I’m really glad for you and D.  You’re good people.  Both of you deserve some happiness, and I'm glad you found it."

Tony felt that little kick of sentimentality in his chest and groaned.  Dammit, he hated this sappy stuff that Richie seemed to thrive on.

Grunting, he figured what the hell?  Maybe because he was happy, he wanted the rest of the world to be.  It was the only reason he could imagine for throwing out, “You should bring Denny with you, man.  Don’t ask me why and don’t think it to death.  Just bring her.”

With that, he tapped the screen to cut off the call and reconnected the phone to the holster on his belt.  It had been a good day so far. A very good day.

Let’s hope my luck holds out, he thought, stepping from the Durango.  If it were going to plummet down the toilet at any point, this would be the most likely spot.



30 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so glad someone talked Richie into going to the wedding. I think Denny will be so awesome for him. Can't wait to see the apology call to Jon and Petey. Yes, Richie owes them both an apology. Great chapter Blush! :) :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! double yeah!!
    Richie's coming and pulled his head together again!
    I love Denny! She would be right for Richie.
    And Tony's trying to play cupido? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It felt as though he’d been mauled by his pet kitten."

    LOL, I love that her first reaction wasn't to explain that he was being stupid, but just to start making plans for his trip to Jersey for the wedding. Then he really didn't give her much of a chance but to turn from pet kitten into tiger. I like her. Thank goodness Tony has the insight needed to suggest Richie bring her to the wedding. Maybe a couple other nudges in the right direction will help him see what he's missing!

    Now, Richie, it's time to call Jon and Petey and apologize for being a jerk. It's a good thing they both love you & will forgive you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even a so called blah-ness chapter is a masterpiece.
    Thanks god for Denny straighten his head.
    But Richie really need a slap on his occiput. He has a jewel right in front of him and didn't see it. Great idea of Tony to suggest to bring her to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will we be moving on to Wednesday tomorrow or will we be on Tuesday evening in the story...really, really, really can't wait for the wedding, Tony's proposal, and when Richie finally sees Denny for what she is for him. I think we all have another new couple to root for-Richie and Denny. Now we need someone for Gavin and someone for David and everyone will be happy. Oh and did I mention we need to get rid of Daniel too? And maybe have Mrs. B. come down a few notches and see how happy her sons are? I want too much, don't I? :) :) :) :)- Sue again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no. You ask for hardly ANYthing...lol. I'm not answering all of that, but I will tell you that it will be Friday or Sunday before we move onto Wednesday. Lotsa details and lotsa people to check in with. :)

      Delete
    2. I can't help asking for too much...but this is by far one of the best stories I've ever read (fan fiction or otherwise). At least I know Wednesday is coming soon. I just had a thought...will there be a wedding rehearsal with everyone there? Getting Petey, Jon, Richie, and Gavin, (not sure if you have anyone else planned in the wedding party) along with Mrs. B. and Mr. B, and Petey's parents all in the same room should be interesting... :) -Sue

      Delete
    3. LOL! Well, thank you! You're very, very kind. :)

      And I haven't thought that far ahead yet. When it takes 6 chapters to get through one day, I have to live a minute at a time. I don't want to leave anything out, ya know! Y'all tend to call me out on that kinda thing. ;o)

      Delete
  6. I'm SO curious what Tony has planned! I'm sure it'll be sweet and romantic. Hope it goes well when he sees his parents.
    I loved this chapter!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it too greedy to ask for another chapter today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had the opportunity to write for 2 days, so I don't have enough done to give you an extra post this time. Sorry. :S

      Delete
    2. *sigh* but I had to try ;-)

      Delete
  8. OMG Richie and Denny? How cool would that be???..... think she would be GREAT for him. Just the kind of woman I think he would be good with. Not in the business of any celeb kind. Go Richie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what Tony has planned. I hope the visit with his parents goes well. It's good that he is going over to the house, they need to speak face to face.

    Don't forgive Richie straight away Jon. I think he really needs to man up. Jon has not had Richie at all by his side during this whole time and Denny is right; for who? a chick who he just met? Petey is more important than Jon is, that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tony! that's all I had to say. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will Jon forgive Richie, that is the question? Thank God Richie is starting to see some sense.

    Yay for Tony!! - BELINDA

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so can't wait to see what Tony has planned. What has he had delivered and what's in the box?

    I wonder if Dorothea and the kids are going to find out what happened to Jon? That was one of the thoughts in my mind when I saw what happened to Jon, his kids!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the kids should find out. It would be too scary for them to know what happened to their Dad's. Maybe Dorothea, just so she can be aware that it's still dangerous out there and the lunatic is still around but not the kids. They don't even know anything about Daniel, I don't think.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't tell the kids, there is no need for them to know. In fact, I wouldn't tell Dorothea either but tell Tony. Let him know that something happened and that he has to keep extra care looking after the family ~ Miriam

      Delete
  13. “Hey Tone? I’m really glad for you and D. You’re good people. Both of you deserve some happiness, and I'm glad you found it."

    Why Richie do you have to go and say something like that! Just makes me love you again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sooooo sweet how Richie calls Dorothea D, I love that. Only he can get away with that(apart from Tony and Jon) I don't think Dorothea would anyone just give her a sweet endearment like that. It shows the closeness between the two.

    After Jon and Petey's wedding, I want to see Tony and Dorothea's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh but whose to say that Dorothea will say yes?

      Delete
  14. Tony, Tony, Tony! Why has no one ever used him in a story before? Blush, you have done good. So sweet!! I have developed a major crush on him and always look forward to him and Dorothea in your chapters. That is nice how he said for Denny to come to the wedding with Richie. It's good that he is there for Jon; brothers!!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because no one is as smart as Blush!! Only she could come up with the idea of Tony and Dorothea and make them so popular. It's her writing too, this could have failed but the way she writes and her talent has just taken this part of the story to a level that I don't think anyone saw coming. Tony and Dorothea are their own love story and a love story that I am so extremely happy to be part off. Looking forward to seeing what happens with them.

      Mom and Dad be nice! give your son a huge hug and say sorry. He is in love, he is planning to propose and that woman has changed his life forever - Ashley02

      Delete
  15. I wonder if there's more to Denny and Richie...
    Richie get your butt to the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Richie needs someone like Denny. He hangs around those hollywood types too much. Go for someone different Richie.

    The talk between Richie and Tony was great, love to see the ring that they pick out. I can't say enough about Tony. Everyone else says it so much better but all I'll say is that I adore him! He is so happy now!! I don't want anyone to spoil it. ~ Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tony Bongiovi is my future husband. Just putting that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jon make Richie beg a bit. He has really been giving you a hard time regarding Petey. Not just with the proposal but even on NYE's when Petey got attacked. Richie didn't let Jon talk to her, just pulled him away. So it will be interesting to see how Jon reacts.

    This proposal is going to be so sweet!! Tony, you are one of a kind and I'm so glad that you found her! Now go and hold on tight to her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always said that Richie is just jealous! Denny - very well done - that was the kick he needed!!! Every word she said to him was sooo right!!!
    Tony saw how Denny feels for Richie? Ok - Tony - push them a little - it might work ;-)

    But now I really want to see how Jon gets rid of Daniel.

    Jon should let Richie sweat - he deserves it for beeing an ass!!! He needs to know that Jon must have been hurt!
    Richie did a LOT of stupid things and Jon was always there for him - without hesitation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that even though this is a Jon story I look forward to the chapters that involve the other characters. That's what make this an AWESOME story! I see a few potential spin off stories...(hint hint)

    Richie sweetheart open your eyes, your happily ever after is sitting right in front of you....Denny. Reach out and grab her. I hope he listens to Tony and brings her to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have liked the addition of Tony in this story from day one, even before his romance with Dorothea. When Jon called him to have someone come over to fix up his system, I've had a soft spot in my heart for him and it has just grown and grown as the story progress. To see him now in the story with Dorothea and where they are heading? I am in love, in happiness and just in super chocolate, fudge, candy heaven!!

    So I thank you Blush from the bottom of my heart for bringing the romance of Tony and Dorothea to the pages of Learning Patience. I know I won't see a story like this ever again. The two brothers with their women, has been one those stories that no one would have believed if they were told about it but to read, it's all make sense and it's just so natural. I bow to you Blush! Sincerely Catheriene

    ReplyDelete